9.23.2010

Fall Link-Up...Today!

Welcome to the party and Happy Fall! Grab the button, link-up, and write about anything Fall!


Photobucket



For a few weeks now, I have been tempted to break out the fall decor. Rationalizing it in my mind...I decided there is really only October and November left before Christmas...and I like to start decorating for Christmas right after Thanksgiving, so I decided it was time.  Time to break out the fall decor! (Does anyone else play mind games like these in their head or is just me?)

I was delighted to be able to walk straight to my "Fall Decorative Items" Rubbermaid tub in our basement.  It's moments like those, where I am so thankful I take the time to try to get organized (by no means is it a perfect system) as I decorate for different seasons and put decor away after each season.


I even keep items like decorative towels for each season in the designated tub so that they're out of our way during the rest of the year, but handy when we need them for the season!


Something else that I find helps me stay organized as I decorate for different seasons and times of the year, is to have a Rubbermaid container that is dedicated to home decor items that I don't have room for during a special holiday or time of year, but plan on bringing them back out once the season is over.  (Another option to this dilemma is to re-purpose items around the house.  For example, I moved a vase that usually is next to our television to another table so that there would be room for this wonderful decoration...one of my favorites that I bought at an arts and crafts fair last fall.)


On with the actual decorating...

Who doesn't love using a wreath to say "Welcome to our home"? I took a long strand of flexible berry garland and wrapped it around a grapevine wreath to create this look.  I've had it for quite a while so it's showing a little bit of wear...but I'm always a sucker for a grapevine wreath.


Another fun idea is to leave the items you normally have out...but decorate around them so that they fit in with the new season or holiday.  One example are our candles that sit on a table next to our entertainment center.  I left them...


But added a little fall color to the table.  (With help from a place mat I found on clearance at Kohl's...I have a thing for circular place mats.)


I also did this with our magazine rack in the living room.  I simply traded out fake moss around the candle....


For a gold candle holder to add an orange-y (yes, I made that word up) glow to the corner of the room.


Of course, I also had to change over the kitchen table decor.  I dispersed the lovely flowers (that I talked about here) around the house in different locations.

The materials:  large vase (from our cabinets), fake leaves (from the fall tub), candle (from another room in the house), two place mats folded in half and layered, our lazy susan, and the canvas table runner I talked about creating here.



I'm loving the layered look with the varying stripe patterns.  Plus, the orange-y (there's that made-up word again) colors are fun and add a pop with the other neutral tones.  Again, here I am using place mats.  They honestly are hardly ever used for their real purpose in our bungalow.


Since we don't have a fireplace or mantle, I tend to use our foyer table as my decorating outlet.  It gets "spruced up" with every new season and holiday.  It recently went from this...


To this...


The materials:  a fall runner, a vase we had, a pumpkin I purchased a couple years ago that I love (it says "Trick-or-Treat" on the other side...so I will turn it around closer to Halloween), some fake fall foliage, and a scarecrow that my grandma gave us (Boone barks at this little man quite frequently).

I simply stuck the fake foliage into the already existing house plant.


And turned this orange-y (I'm sensing a trend) vase upside down to elevate the pumpkin for a little more "pizazz".


Fall decorating is fun for me...and I really don't overdo it, because I feel like our bungalow nestled among so many trees, already lends itself to this time of year.  Our home decor colors are very earth-toned and include pops of yellows, reds, and oranges all year long.  Fall just seems to "fit" our home.

And as us southerners like to say....Happy Fall y'all!

 

Pin It!

12 comments :

  1. I love all you fall decorations! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I just love fall too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything looks adorable! i am going to have to make a tub for re-purposing, etc. i never know what to do with the stuff that i want to replace with seasonal decor so I usually just cram them somewhere else and everything looks crowded! Thanks for the great idea! I'm excited to take my pictures and link up tonight : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so good! I'm waiting until fall is over to buy decorations on sale so I can have a nice fall home like you next year. I also need to get my Christmas decorations out of cardboard boxes and into some nice rubbermade ones like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you have! I wish our leaves changed... they'd be nice decor! I guess I could by silk ones.
    Thanks for the link up! I almost forgot!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your decorations and tips! I need to put my kitchen towels and aprons for each season into totes as well as my decorations..sure would leave me more room in my drawers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your fall home :) you and i seem to have similar decorating tips! i have the same organization system + used a circular placemat as part of my decor this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, friend!
    It's been too long! I love all of your fall decor. I never liked fall before but we married in October, so I have started an affinity with it. I really love your wreath!

    I have something for you over at my place :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girl - love the party...my original plans totally fell through, so I'll save them for next week. Sorry about the spelling goof...you can fix it if you can get to it. I don't think I can...it's this old age catching up to me!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful decorations! I love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty... I am seriously considering battling the basement remodel to get out my fall decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just found your blog! What cute decorations!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your support and insight encourage and inspire me! I would love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails