1.24.2010

free tissues and a thrifty discovery

So this post is random.
I have a couple things I have done recently that I wanted to share, so I'm combining them into this one quick post.
Use or lose.
Lets start with the tissue box. For some reason I have had in my mind since moving into our little bungalow that our tissue box has to match the hopefully soon-to-be remodeled decor in our master bath. (Yes, I am that person sometimes...please don't judge.) I always worked hard to find a cutesy floral earthy-tone patterned box of tissues. Well, this time around I ripped the top of the tissue box as I was removing the little flappy thing. I looked at that torn part of the box for a couple days.....and it drove me nuts. Not only did the box not match, but the the ripped part was sticking out like a sore thumb. Like the hole in the wall from where my hubby started our tile removal doesn't... Anywho...this led to a wonderful discovery! Tissues free from the confinement of a box.
Check it out...

This is kind of embarassing...but I will share anyway. I yelled for my hubby to come into the bathroom just to see this. He acted very amused......whether he was acting or not, I don't care...he provided the response I hoped to receive! :) This may make you cringe...but it works for us and we heart the idea. (If this suits your fancy....I just used a long skinny basket that I have had in our house.)

Next random idea....

This idea came from the fact that I am a tad bit tight with money. There are few things I splurge on and one of those is my Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer. I usually tend to go for the off-brands or whatever I have a coupon for...but this stuff is great and one of my must-haves. This makes me look like I'm actually awake to teach those little kiddos at 7:30 in the morning. Well....this stuff isn't cheap. At least not on my terms. And I was at the point where I could not possibly squeeze another drop outta the bottle. So I decided to do something I used to laugh at one of my college roomies for doing.......I cut the tube in half. Yep, that's right. I took scissors and cut it in half like this.....


And look what I found...


Turns out my roomie wasn't as crazy as I thought! That's right! Enough daily moisturizer to last me over an entire extra week...I'm still digging some out! (I'm easily amused as you can see.) I just threw both parts into a snacksize baggie.
Pinching pennies? I highly recommend this! Shampoo and conditioner bottles, body wash bottles, concealer, etc.

So what thrifty ideas steal your heart? Do share!

blessings, Cait


Pin It!

4 comments :

  1. Great ideas! Check out these tissue covers, too: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/linen-tissue-box-cover/?pkey=cbath-accessory-countertop . Thanks for stopping by my blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Caitlin! It was fun to chat with you today about real life stuff. :) It's fun to kind of get to walk through the first years of marriage and teaching together too! Also - the tissues are super cute, and what a genius idea about the makeup...as many years as I have loved makeup I can't believe I have never even considered doing this! Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are just as thrifty as me so you HAVE to check out my blog, it will give you even more ways to save money and get stuff for free as well as tidbits about my life like cooking disasters, being a newlywed, etc.
    -Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your support and insight encourage and inspire me! I would love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails