6.30.2010

a nice surprise


This morning I finally started cleaning out my childhood bedroom at my mom's and dad's.  Seriously...I have worked so hard to fight my hoarder tendencies as an adult.  Really, I'm pretty sure it's in my blood.  My old bedroom is full of stuff.  Tons of stuff.  I'm just thankful to get a grip on this hoarder thing after only being in our home a couple years...the main things that are helping me keep perspective on this are:  1) I do not want to leave a house full of stuff for my kids and grandkids to have to go through when I pass down the road.  2) My true treasures are stored in Heaven....and I should be gathering up those treasures...not earthly treasures.  (Now I'm not quite the crazy cat person you see on TLC on reality shows where they have dead cats in their home they didn't know about and a freezer packed with nasty old red meat from five years go. Yeah, I'm not like that.) However, I do know one thing...if I was writing a letter to me as a teen like Brad Paisley sings about...it would include.  "Throw things away.  Only hold on to the true keepsakes that you want to stay in the family.  You're 24 year old self will appreciate it."

Some items I have come across:

-my old Girl Scouts pens
-journal entries pouring my heart out about silly boys that make me laugh at myself now
-pictures, pictures, and more pictures (what do I do with all of those?!)
-clothes, clothes, and more clothes
-cards from Justin
-notes from my mom that she left for my brother and me every morning when she left for work before we were awake in the summer
-my elementary school writer's notebook
-the sash to my wedding dress that has been lying around since we changed to leave for our honeymoon the night of our wedding (two years ago)

I could go on and on....

However, the best surprise that I found was one of these:


Yes, that's right.  A $100 bill.  Still taped to the inside of one of our wedding cards.  I am never that careless with cash.  So I would like to claim this as a true blessing from God...a little, "Here you go, Cait.  I told you that I even take care of the birds of the fields....why you still worry, I don't know.  But here you go.  Here is $100 cash just because.  I will always take care of you.  Always."  (It especially comes pretty timely after Justin and I had just had a conversation that stemmed from my worrying nature and lack of trust of all our recent surprising expenses that have stretched things a little.) God is so good.  I love His little surprises and the way He pours love all over His children. 

I texted Justin a picture of it, still taped in the card.  He enjoyed the surprise too.

Here's to hoping God surprises you in a sweet way today to remind you to trust in Him.


Pin It!

10 comments :

  1. Oh I love that you found that:) I love how He always provides at the perfect time. Hope you had a productive day:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is so exciting! I was a hoarder to as a child/teen, but have recently learned how NOT to be one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that I am not the only one who hasn't cleared everything out of my parent's house (that I moved out of about a year and a half ago). I lived in the same room my whole life and rarely took the time to go through things so it looks more like the aftermath of a tornado than my organized house now! I only hope I'm lucky enough to find $100 when I get around to cleaning it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that is amazing!
    I don't know if you saw on my blog or not but you won the scentsy giveaway!!!
    Will you please e-mail me with your contact info and also so that we can decide what kind of warmer and scents you want??
    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! I love finding money.
    I hate cleaning stuff out too. i'm always afraid if I clean out my stuff, I'll think of an item I need a year later, and I'll have already given it away. I have to fight my hoarding tendencies too. Which reminds me, I need to clean out some things myself . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful! I love finding money.
    I hate cleaning stuff out too. i'm always afraid if I clean out my stuff, I'll think of an item I need a year later, and I'll have already given it away. I have to fight my hoarding tendencies too. Which reminds me, I need to clean out some things myself . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post. Partly because I'm a slight hoarder, too...and also because I love finding money I didn't know I had because I always look at it as a note from God, too. My first year of grad school I was completely broke. I gave my last ten bucks tithing at church and was feeling pretty scared that I wouldn't be eating for awhile. I went home and checked the mailbox and I had a check from a credit card company. Apparently I over-paid a bill six months prior. I knew it was really God telling me that there was no need to worry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. I left an award for you on my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is just awesome :) God is really so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been putting off cleaning my room out at my parents house for a long time, but now I am interested in seeing what I might come across :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your support and insight encourage and inspire me! I would love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails